La enfermedad diarreica aguda en los países en vías de desarrollo : I. Base epidemiológica de su control
MetadataShow full item record
In most populations, a continuum of clinical severity from inapparent infection to fatal disease characterizes the acute diarrheas, independently of whether or not a recognized microbial pathogen is involved. In lesser developed regions of the world, average severity is greater and the clinical course longer and more irregular than in more favored areas. Generally, the same kinds of infectious agents are recognized in the two situations, although they differ in relative and absolute frequency. The observed differences in clinical effect, especially among children, appear related primarily to nutritional state of the host and to an unsanitated environment with resultant larger doses of infecting agent. In any single situation, endemic or epidemic, clinical entities cannot be distinguished with certainty, although etiologically distinct diseases can be demonstrated. A mixture of diseases is usual and mutiple infections of an individual relatively frequent. Clinical differences do not provide a basis for community controlSpecific enteric agents, including Shigella, Salmonella, enteropathogenic Esch. coli, or Entamoeba histolytica, ordinarily can be domonstrated in about 20 percent of diarrheas of lesser developed countries, Shigella being commonest. A total of 40 percent is occasional and 60 percent exceptional. Many cases apparently are related to enteric microorganisms ordinarily not ... (AU)Difunciones por gastritis y enteritis por 100.000 habitantes
Acute diarrheal disease in lesser developep countries : I. An epidedemiologic basis for control
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Parasitic infections associated with HIV/AIDS in the Caribbean Robinson, R. D (1995)This review article seeks to highlight the significance for the Caribbean of major parasitic infections associated with AIDS, encourage awareness of these opportunistic parasites, and promote familiarity with appropriate ...
Tipos viricos del herpes simple asociados a infecciones genitales primarias y recurrentes en Chile Suárez, Mónica; Labbe, Verónica; Saavedra, Tirza; Ojeda, José Manuel (s.d.)In view of the different biological behavior of the two types of herpes simplex virus (HSV-1 and HSV-2) that may cause genital infection, it is important to identify the virus strain carried as a means of prognosticating ...
Diarrea aguda asociada a Campylobacter y otros agentes patogenos en Quito, Ecuador Guderian, Ronald H; Ordonez R., Gabriel; Bossano R, Rodrigo (s.d.)In Quito, Ecuador, the feces of 100 children from 1 to 24 months of ages suffering from acute diarrhea were examined for enteropathogens from July to December 1984. One or more microorganisms were identified in 50