El edificio de la Sede de la Oficina Sanitaria Panamericana, Oficina Regional de la Organización Mundial de la Salud
On 18 September 1963, ground was broken in Washington for the permanent Headquarters of the Pan American Sanitary Bureau, Regional Office of the World Health Organization. The new building is located at a site donated by the United States Government at Virginia Avenue, 23rd Street, E Street, and 22nd Street, in the northwest section of the city. The financing of the building construction was the result, in good measure, of a contribution of $5 million from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. It is estimated that the construction will be completed and occupancy undertaken in September 1965. The move to the new building will culminate many years of effort to obtain a permanent headquarters structure for the PASB. The Pan American Sanitary Bureau, founded in 1902, occupied space for many years in the Pan American Union. During the years of his service as Director, Dr. Hugh S. Cumming never had a private office. In 1947, following reorganization and expansion, a building was rented at 2001 Connecticut Avenue, northwest, at the junction of Columbia Road and Connecticut Avenue. In 1948, two adjacent buildings were rented. The matter of the site of the permanent headquarters and housing of the headquarters staff was a question given recurring consideration at the early meetings of the governing bodies. A detailed report was made on this subject in 1950 and a subcommittee of the Executive Committee
The PASB headquarters building
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.